Go Back   Acrostic Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

I'm the proud holder of about 50 slowest-time records. Could video that ... but I should probably edit out the 30-minute stretches of storming off in frustration.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:19 AM

Ha! I once fell asleep while a puzzle was still open. Completed, but I forgot to hit that final <enter>. Woke up six and a half hours later... That was definitely a record to skew the curve!
Old 02-11-2018, 07:59 AM

There Are A Finite Number Of These On This Site. Some Do Them Almost Endlessly, Thus It Is A Matter Of Memory, Not Skill. No Big Deal.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:53 PM

You'll discover that new puzzles are added fairly regularly, so there is a bit more to solving than merely memorizing. That would get pretty dull.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:13 AM

Default i, too, smell a rat

Yeah Struggler, Svenska, et al. 5 or 6 seconds per clue? What do you get out of cheating (which you obviously are) besides screwing up the curve for the rest of us? Pathetic.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpriest View Post
Yeah Struggler, Svenska, et al. 5 or 6 seconds per clue? What do you get out of cheating (which you obviously are) besides screwing up the curve for the rest of us? Pathetic.
Imagine, if you can, that they are NOT cheating. Imagine, if you can, that they are just really good at this.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:49 PM

Sure, I can imagine that. I can imagine pigs flying, too. Doesn't mean they can. To read a clue and type the answer has got to take 3 seconds minimum. that leaves 2-3 seconds to figure out the answer for every single one, every single time. The only logical explanation for those kinds of times is cheating.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 AM

Jim Priest. You don't have to solve EVERY clue. Sometimes just solving two or three10-15 letter clues can give you enough information to solve much of, if not the entire quote.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Default Solving . . .

@jimpriest Not only do you not have to have the answer to every clue, it wouldn't be much of a puzzle if you did. The whole fun (and brain exercise) of an acrostic is working back and forth between the clues and the puzzle grid, using one to help you with the other. Fill in the clue answers you do know, then look at the grid for patterns that suggest what the empty boxes might be: T_E, P_ _P_E, W_ _ _ H, _L_AY_ (THE, PEOPLE, WHICH, ALWAYS). A longish word with the letter I third from last almost has to be something ending with -ION or -ING. As you fill in more and more, you may be able to guess whether the quote is from a teenage romance or a history book, which will help you with both style and vocabulary. The great thing about doing these online instead on on paper is that if you find you've guessed wrong, erasing and rewriting is easy.

I suggest you just solve a few without being signed in, to give you practice in making educated guesses without feeling time pressure.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genevoise View Post
Jim Priest. You don't have to solve EVERY clue. Sometimes just solving two or three10-15 letter clues can give you enough information to solve much of, if not the entire quote.
Yes, of course. That's why these puzzles are so fun to solve. You have to look at several factors, including the first letter of each answer. But you're just making my point. Going back and forth and filling in the blanks-in other words, actually solving the puzzle- takes considerably more time than just typing in the answers, and the times these "players" are posting are just enough to type in the answers, scarcely enough to do anything else.