Go Back   Acrostic Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 06:46 AM

You're getting warmer.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 AM

Default No problem believing times

I am registered on six of Puzzle Baron's sites. In fact, I just registered for Acrostics yesterday and solved three puzzles. Lo and bold, one was a new record. It's possible, especially if you catch a familiar quotation.

But of the other five I'm registered on, I've set records on all but one as well. Under Trivia, I've had dozens. Reverse Word Search I don't come close. Jigsaw Puzzles I got my first one yesterday, lowering the record time by one second. Cryptograms, I get five or six new records a year, but haven't seen my ID attached to a puzzle in a long time. I think they've all been broken. As to Drop Quotes, I'm really enjoying those puzzles. I signed up in March and have had dozens of record times. Yesterday I set a new record on a long puzzle of 434 seconds which beat the old one by 62 seconds.

No, I don't cheat. No, I doubt anyone cheats. I'm just enjoying it if I get a record. But it's OK if someone beats it. As the adage goes "Record are made to be broken".

Just have fun playing

Last edited by dakotadave; 07-02-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: typos.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartp View Post
You're getting warmer.
They are cheating then, it's just figuring out how (I have ideas programmatically but I think there might be an easier hack way...) Any hints?

Again, (to those of you saying it's just good players): it's not that high scores are impossible (I got one once on my own). But, explain to me how someone then beat that high score *within one hour of me setting it*.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criv227 View Post
They are cheating then, it's just figuring out how (I have ideas programmatically but I think there might be an easier hack way...) Any hints?

Again, (to those of you saying it's just good players): it's not that high scores are impossible (I got one once on my own). But, explain to me how someone then beat that high score *within one hour of me setting it*.
You can solve these acrostics (in record time, no less), but you can't figure out this puzzle?

From your post on June 17, 2018, it is obvious that it is possible to be able to call a puzzle by it's puzzle number. Now, the software that runs the site will not allow you to call a puzzle that you have played before, but if someone were to have two accounts, it would be possible, say, to play the puzzle under their Dr Slowpoke account, then replay it in their Mr Fastpants account in record time.

I'm not saying that this is how anyone is cheating (or that anyone is, in fact, cheating), but I don't see why it wouldn't work if one was so inclined.

As for how to stop it? In my opinion, you don't. It would be way too much trouble for admin to try to find those who are doing it. There is little positive to doing so and the potential negative (for example, someone being falsely accused with no recourse) is too great. There are far more serious injustices in this world and if someone gets pleasure from posting a new record through cheating, well, good for them. Me, I really don't care. I don't play for the records.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 PM

There is no way, short of cheating, that anyone could solve a puzzle in 30 seconds, as I've seen happen. Simply typing in the answers to 12-20 clues, even if you never stopped to think would take that long.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Default Cheating

Why does this subject continue to come up? What is it that those of you who are convinced others are cheating want to happen? If you want admin to address the question, please write to admin via "Questions or comments" at the bottom of the page. Obviously they are not going to enter this discussion in the forum.

I'm sure I am not the only person here who is very tired of seeing these complaints over and over again.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM

The reason this issue continues to come up is that good people expect fair play. No, it's not a matter of life and death, but when something is presented as a competitive activity, part of the fun is the competition. And when it's obvious that some are not following the rules, then it's just annoying. There are always some who try to circumvent the rules in every area of life. Sad fact.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMa View Post
I'm sure I am not the only person here who is very tired of seeing these complaints over and over again.
Hear, hear. It leaves a really bad taste in my mouth about the community of solvers here.
The forums aren't terribly active in the first place, but I can tell you that these accusations don't make me feel inclined to hang out here more.