Go Back   Acrostic Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2018, 02:46 PM

From what I can tell, your time doesn't make a bit of difference if use a hint. Use one hint but still make good time and you'll get 10 points for the puzzle. Use 5 hints and take an hour......10 points.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

I don't think that's true. I just did a puzzle using one hint, and I got 303 points.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:28 AM

Well then... I'm really confused now!
I've never gotten more than 10 after using a hint regardless of where my other scoring parameters landed.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:25 PM

Since this last post, I've worked dozens of puzzles maybe 50 or more and no matter how long it takes me to finish one, I never get less than 100 points provided I do not use any hints.
On the other hand, no matter how fast I mat finish one, I never get more than 10 points for it if I use even one hint. So I don't know what's going on. if Lemomn99 is correct about getting over 300 after using a hint, then I'm at a total loss to understand why. I took forever completing one early today because I started it then went for lunch before completing it. it was left open for way over an hour but I still got a little over 100 for it.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

I just finished a puzzle using one hint and got 265 points. I have no idea what's going on.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:30 AM

Yeah, I can't figure it out either. I learned early on that the little bell curve graph they have to show you your status after completion of a puzzle was useless. Get this though...I've completed puzzles and landed way over in the faster than average part of the graph and only got about 200 for it. Yesterday, I finished one up pretty quickly (I thought) and ended up near the middle of the graph but still slightly slower than average and got over 700 for it. It makes absolutely no sense.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:25 PM

And if there was a prize for getting the quickest time (setting new record) on a puzzle.

I always assumed there would be but when I finally achieved it -- twice -- nothing. Disappointing!

There are some computer factors in how quick you can solve. I think one would have to bbe using a mouse (as opposed to touchpad) and be able to touch-type to complete anything in as little time as some do. And have a really fast internet connection.

I have found that no matter what, I can't complete any puzzle in under about 100 seconds. It takes me 20-30 seconds just to get the puzzle in view, yet there are people solving in that little time.

I stick to longer puzzles for this reason as I do comparatively better on them.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Essentially, you start with 800 points. For every second you take over 150, you lose a point. You lose more points for using a hint, but I don't know how many.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:48 AM

Thanks for that explanation. The way it's set up, you need to attempt only those puzzles that, on the average, are solved in under 3 minutes if you're going to be competitive. They really need to redesign the scoring system so competitive players can enjoy 10 minute puzzles and still get points for solving them quicker than the average.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:52 PM

I think you get penalized around 180 points for each hint. But, as long as you finish the puzzle, the fewest points you can get is 10.