Go Back   Acrostic Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2016, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrym View Post
Stewartp, do you have any basis for saying that? I used to compete in the ACPT, and there are people there who just blow my mind at how fast they can fill out a puzzle. For some reason, most are math or music majors - I've never figured that out.

I've seen your comments on several puzzles claiming that it's a fake record. Please be more explicit about why these are false records. Explain how they could have done it, because I just don't see how.
Hear, hear. I really hate seeing the comments on the puzzles; it's an unnecessary and toxic element to bring to the site. I've been targeted by stewartp myself (though I haven't yet come across a comment of his on a puzzle I've solved, he has sent me messages through the forum).

Kerry, you're probably not really going to get an answer. I think stewartp is our resident troll.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Amen Rachaar. He loves to make allegations without any proof whatsoever and is best ignored.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootmon View Post
Amen Rachaar. He loves to make allegations without any proof whatsoever and is best ignored.
I think he may just misunderstand how to handle acrostics, and therefore assume that the folks with the fastest times are cheating. I'm still learning, but as I learn, my times get quicker (when my internet connection cooperates).

The fastest puzzle solvers in xwords share a couple of skills. They're super-brainy, and they have sky-high skills at pattern recognition. Hence the maths/science/music backgrounds. That's particularly useful in acrostics, which are ALL about pattern recognition. By the way, I'm not super-brainy and know zip about music.

You know that Aha! moment when you know what the acrostic is saying? Been there, right? Well, extremely fast solvers just get there faster. It's a gift, but it probably helps if you open the puzzle and fill out the long clues first, look up, and see if you can guess what the statement is.

Short story long: I don't think comments that scores are fake contribute to the site, but I don't think of StewartP as a troll. I hope he reads this and gives it some thought.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

The scoring baffles me too. But I realized soon after I joined the site that it doesn't matter, because I don't have a prayer of winning a competition. The top monthly total scores are 40-50 times what I run up at my modest few games a day. The top all-time total score is 150 times my total from 18 months of play. I might hit 100% success some month. But so do lots of people, and the tie-breaker for that is all-time total score, so....

So I compete against myself and that's fine. If I ever do get 100% success some month, I'll be ecstatic.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:03 PM

Default I'm With You 100%

I made the medal board once, after a summer month when I had absolutely nothing to do, and it made my year! That being said, I've come to accept that beating the average and often coming close to the record is a win for me, especially during busy times when I don't have time to log on for a few days. If nothing else, it sharpens the mind and increases the vocabulary-- a personal win-win.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauramur View Post
I made the medal board once, after a summer month when I had absolutely nothing to do, and it made my year! That being said, I've come to accept that beating the average and often coming close to the record is a win for me, especially during busy times when I don't have time to log on for a few days. If nothing else, it sharpens the mind and increases the vocabulary-- a personal win-win.
Works for me. Of course, if I ever have that nothing-to-do month, it'll be because I'm in a body cast. I guess I'd need a special keyboard for that....
Old 09-09-2017, 02:58 AM

I Completely agree, stewartp.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:05 AM

I just completed a puzzle in 763 secs. The average time was 1686 secs. I got 187 points for it. It just seems like solving a puzzle in less than half the average time should lead to more points than that, since I've often gotten 600-700 points for much lesser efforts.

Having said that, I don't know what these points mean anyway. You eventually rack up hundreds of thousands of points, and then what?
Old 09-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Default I agree that scoring is hard to understand

What's especially weird is that the score depends ONLY on elapsed time - the length of the quote does not affect scoring. Yet obviously it takes more time to fill in 20 clues than 10 clues, no matter how fast you are.
If you're completing, this creates an incentive to keep clicking "new puzzle" until a short one pops up, to increase your score/puzzle.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Yes, it would be nice if more credit were awarded for completing a more challenging puzzle.