Old 01-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Question Question about monthly awards

I'm wondering how the winners are determined for the monthly awards. Regarding the fastest solver award, in December (a very busy month for academics and grandmothers!), I was able to do only 31 puzzles, with a 100% success rate and an average time of 180 seconds, but it didn't show up in either the fastest solver or highest success rate categories for December. (The 180.1 seconds would have ranked as #5 in the fastest solver category.) I'm guessing that a minimum number of puzzles be completed to establish eligibility for an award. Is that correct?

For the second part of my question, regarding the highest success rate award, all of the top 20 winners every month (and presumably a lot more people as well) have 100% success rates. How is it decided which ones move into the top 20?

I tried to find this info on the site somewhere (including in forums with related titles) but couldn't locate it. I would be helpful if a forum reader could direct me to it or, if it's not there, if the administrators could provide an easy-to-locate link to it for others who are curious.

And if an administrator is reading this: Thanks also for making this site available--great for keeping the brain cells active and winding down at the end of a day...
Old 01-02-2017, 12:24 AM

Default high scores

You did not score enough total points to qualify for an award. In success rate, those who score 100% are ranked in order of their total points. For fastest solver, you must be in the top 50 in overall points. Keep playing!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:06 PM

The criteria are listed at the top of the current monthly rankings. For Success Rate, you must be in the top 50 in High Score. For Fastest Solver, you must be in the to 50 in High Score and have a success rate of 75% or better.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 PM

Thanks, jugl11 and k4knee. I finally located the criteria, thanks to your help. I had never seen the current rankings page, just the ones for previous months. I also didn't realize that you can find out where you stand on an ongoing basis during the month. (Unfortunately, I'll now probably be so focused on trying to get the total points number high enough that I may not find time to check the other categories!)

Tags
award winners, fastest solver, monthly competitions, success rate